Does the import / export tool work with SQL Federation?

Dec 23, 2011 at 7:09 PM

We use the import / export tool to backup our databases in Azure. We would like to move to SQL Federation, but will that work with the import / export tool.

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:21 PM

No, there is no tooling that support federations that I am aware of at this time.

Coordinator
Jan 25, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Longer term, there will be first class federation support, for now you can use the import/export service to export a specific database (could be a federation member) which you can then import into a standalone (non-federated) database.

Mar 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I don't think the import / export is working for federated databases even in the context described by @so22: "export a specific database (could be a federation member) which you can then import into a standalone (non-federated) database". The reason I am telling that is because I tried to export federation instances and be them the root or a federation member, I got the following exception:

Cannot extract a DAC from database DbName because the database has federations. Dac does not support federated databases.

From my point of view, even the possibility to export a federation instance and then restore back a non-federated database would have been useful for backup scenarios. Hopefully this would be possible in a future version.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:50 AM

The current version of the Import Export Service does not support exporting a federated database.

A future version of the Service will allow limited exports of federated databases.  The future version will support exporting a federated database to a bacpac but the federation information will not be exported.  Therefore, if you import the resulting bacpac it will result in a non-federated database.