Update schema only?

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:38 AM
Edited Oct 18, 2011 at 4:39 AM

I have an existing Azure database in production. I use a Data-Tier application (dacpac) to make changes to the schema. On Azure it is very slow (I am physically loacted a long way from data centre and Azure support has confirmed this is a problem with current DAC engine).

I thought I might be able to use the bacpac as a means to upgrade the db, so I upgraded a local DB and used the -Extract argument to export the schema. But when i use the -Deploy argument on my Azure DB i get "Database 'DBName' already exists. Choose a different database name."

Obviously if I choose a new name then I will have an empty DB with correct schema and a DB with data and old schema...

Is it possible to upgrade schema and not the data?

TIA

MArk

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:49 AM

Hi Mark, Thanks for posting.

DacCli tool currently does not have an option for upgrade. But if you have SSMS (2008 R2 or preferably 2008 R2 SP1 onwards), you can use it to upgrade the database.

Does this option work for you?

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:01 AM

That is how we are doing it (or, more usually, via the API with a little app I have written). Unfortunately it takes 8-9 hours to do it this way (from New Zealand to SE Asia data centre) annd i was hoping this may be an alternative.

Nov 9, 2011 at 7:14 PM

SQL Server management portal being  released in Q4 ( http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazure/archive/2011/10/14/announcing-upcoming-sql-azure-q4-2011-service-release.aspx ) will let you upgrade schema (w/o data) through the service.

Please give it a try once Q4 goes live.

Thanks

Shireesh